Call Center Jobs
The Best Jobs & How To get Hired
What Is A Call Center?
Companies use a call center to provide customer service and sell products and services. Call center employees spend a large portion of their day on the phone. When working in a call center your role is to make inbound or outbound calls.
Call Center Job Description
When you work in a call center, whether in an office or at home, you are required to reach targets or KPI’s set by the company.
As a Call Center Representative you will be required to have a working knowledge of the company’s products and keep yourself up to date with any changes or product improvements.
Here is a typical Call Center Job Description:
- Answer calls, interview clients and verify information
- Obtain client information as required
- Provide information to clients, explain procedures, answer questions
- Determine client eligibility by comparing client information to requirements
- Confirm pricing
- Meet or exceed company KPI’s (key performance indicators) and standards (Call Center Metrics)
- Stay up to date with product knowledge and training
- Assist in establishing policies
- Maintain quality standards and guidelines
- Recommend procedure and product improvements
- Ensure office equipment is in working order and advise management of faulty equipment and repairs as required
Working hours (part time or full time) and benefits can change between call centers, so look for things like the availability of overtime or seasonal work. You should be provided with a Call Center Headset.
Call Center Duties can vary from company to company obviously, but in the main they are similar to the above.
Inbound Call Center
An Inbound Call Center is where you are required to answer calls and handle them as required. Examples of inbound call centers are the customer service departments of large companies.
Outbound Call Center
In an Outbound Call Center (sales call center) representatives make outbound calls to sell products and services, collect payments and conduct surveys etc.
Call Center Outsourcing
Companies sometimes choose to outsource their call center. It is more common for small to medium sized businesses to outsource, however large companies have also been known to outsource their call center operations.
Companies can outsource to call centers in their home country, and this is where the ‘work from home’ opportunities mostly exist, or to a country where wages are lower such as India or The Philippines.
The skills required to work in a call center are:
- Great verbal communication skills (i.e. great phone manner)
- Ability to listen to clients needs
- Empathy and people skills
- Product knowledge to deliver the best recommendations
- Data entry skills
- Attention to detail
- A professional attitude
- The ability to multi task
Call Center Manager
For a manager to manage their team a Call Center Manager Job Description will include:
- Team building
- Conflict resolution
- Hiring and firing
- Keeping the call center team on track to reach their targets and KPI’s
Call Center Training
Call Centers Training is provided to new employees and includes:
- New employee induction and mentoring
- Call Center Metrics and KPI’s
- Quality assurance
- Company and industry best practices
- Group training (this can include gamification and role play)
- Software and systems procedures training
Call Center Salary
A typical Call Center Salary is:
- Range – $20 to $30 per hour
- Average – $25 per hour
Call Center Interview Questions
General interview questions can include:
For Call Center Representative Jobs go here
Call center interview questions can include:
- What is your idea of a call center?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Can you define what good customer service is?
- How would you handle an angry customer?
- Are you able to work multiple phone lines?
When answering any interview questions, be truthful, but also keep in mind what the interviewer wants to hear.
Call Center Resume
To write a resume that will get noticed, go here.
To write a 4 sentence cover letter that will get you an interview, go here.